Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs

Thanks

Default Drugs

Firstly, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it (incuding me). Secondly lets talk about drugs. No, not the kind you buy off a Nigerian in Boxburg, those that you get prescribed by your well-educated, presumably intelligent, well minded physician. I think most of it is a scam. Drug companies invent conditions, syndromes and afflictions to sell drugs. This is not to say that 90% of the drugs they sell do not in some way help people. For example, a poor parent has an unruly child, Ritalin will solve it yes? No, it will subdue the child, it will make the child more manageable and yes it will kill the child's creativity and personal development. The most beneficial recipient of a behaviour enhancing drug would actually be the parent(s). Restless leg syndrome. Enough said? There is a drug for it you know. And a ton of really expensive television ads telling you (who as 90% of the male population have it) that it has been the sole reason you have never gotten laid, how embarrasing it must be, how much of a social outcast you are blah blah blah. Weak stream - another XY chromosome affliction. There is now a drug for it, if you know what it is. Seems none of these wonder-drugs fix anything, all they do is treat them. Excellent business really, kinda reminds me of the tabacco companies 40 or so years ago. Anyway, I could go on but I know nobody is really gonna read this because there are no attachments of bra-less semi-starlets. I do actually give a shit and there are some mature minds on this forum so it is worth the effort even if only one of those minds get to view it.

Similar Newsgab Articles:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kgp For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,377 Times in 4,132 Posts

Default Re: Drugs

have you tried antibiotics?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (25th December 2010), Chief (30th December 2010), kgp (26th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 990 Posts

No need for drugs just go to the Chiropractor. When the swine flue scare was in full swing Chiropractors were saying he could prevent it.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to computer2slow For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (26th December 2010), kgp (26th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks

what about pain meds when a leg is broken?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,064 Times in 4,268 Posts

It's my understanding that Ritalin works by speeding up the system so that it slows down the mind......a person with adhd's mind goes too fast, by speeding it up, it actually slows it down to where they can make sense of things......back in the day, I would do speed, but it would mellow me out and make it easier to concentrate, while I was never diagnosed with or took drugs for anything, a friend told me this is what Ritalin does and also why there is a market for kids to sell their Ritalin too....oddly, when I was younger there weren't many drugs I wouldn't try, now....I don't take any if I can help it and by that I mean OTC or prescription drugs......

ôLife is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.ö -John Wayne
    "With age comes the realization of mortality" -Tom Woods

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjw61 For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (26th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 990 Posts

I think some kids are just never taught to sit still. Instead of being told to sit still they are told go ahead let it out it's ok. Just go to a story if I ran around do stuff I see I would have been in trouble. I've seen a parent complain when someone from the store told a kid to stop throwing items around. You know that wouldn't fly at home. Same with Roller Shoes.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to computer2slow For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (26th December 2010), kgp (5th January 2011), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,064 Times in 4,268 Posts

I agree, some of them are diagnosed just because the parents need to blame it on something, not themselves for not teaching their kids. I'm just saying it is needed in some cases......

ôLife is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.ö -John Wayne
    "With age comes the realization of mortality" -Tom Woods

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tjw61 For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (26th December 2010), kgp (5th January 2011), petruccio (2nd January 2011)

Head_Monkey Guest

All drugs were invented /discovered to resolve 3 major problems that were started (and fueled) by society:

1. People's laziness to get off their ass and look after themselves (obesity, poor diets, etc)
    2. People fear of death / lack of acceptance that nothing lasts forever (can't change nature)
    3. Society's unrealistc perception of beauty (e.g. anti-aging cream)

If people accepted their lot in life, they would be a lot happier, and would prolly live a longer and more enjoyable life.

And before you string up the hanging rope, I put it to you: How many people have been diagnosed with a terminal illness, only to beg for more time so that they can live out their dreams? Why didn't they make the most of their life before they were diagnosed? You can't blame your laziness on an illness that is yet to be diagnosed. And before you say "what about children who get sick?" I say that it's the parents who have not made the most of their time with the children. Stop working for 5 minutes, and spend it with your child, even if they haven't been diagnosed with an illness.

You may lynch me now...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Head_Monkey For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), kgp (5th January 2011), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

irj2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Head_Monkey View Post
    All drugs were invented /discovered to resolve 3 major problems that were started (and fueled) by society:

1. People's laziness to get off their ass and look after themselves (obesity, poor diets, etc)
    2. People fear of death / lack of acceptance that nothing lasts forever (can't change nature)
    3. Society's unrealistc perception of beauty (e.g. anti-aging cream)
    4. Recreation: social, spiritual and escapism (hash, etc.)
    A fourth perhaps?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to irj2 For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks

What about type I diabetes? Should we let them die? Type I isn't caused by obesity. A child can be born with type one because its mom had a cold while pregnant. Should we prolong its life with insulin?

What about cancer? If our monkey gets cancer should we prolong his life either quality and/or quantity? What if its curable? Aren't we duty bound to help?

What if that hot chic in the office buys monkey a coke and slips one of them date rape drugs into it and our monkey gets syphilis shouldn't we give you antibiotics? Should we let it kill you? NO!!

What if our monkey is in a car wreck and you get ptsd shouldn't we give you drugs so you don't kill yourself or others?

What about the guys who inherited heart disease and needs pills to make Mr. Peepee work?

I can go on if you like but you get the picture.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (29th December 2010)

Head_Monkey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    What about type I diabetes? Should we let them die? Type I isn't caused by obesity. A child can be born with type one because its mom had a cold while pregnant. Should we prolong its life with insulin?
    Yes we should let them die. Natural selection (evolution) and Destiny/Fate/God's Will (creationism) dictates this. And given we have not reached the level of God yet and prevented babies from being born without diabetes, I say the parents should be making the most of the time with their child.

What about cancer? If our monkey gets cancer should we prolong his life either quality and/or quantity? What if its curable? Aren't we duty bound to help?
    See above. Besides, I should be living my life like every day is my last. That way I won't regret dying early. And those around me should just expect that I'm dying and maybe learn a little something from the experience.

What if that hot chic in the office buys monkey a coke and slips one of them date rape drugs into it and our monkey gets syphilis shouldn't we give you antibiotics? Should we let it kill you? NO!!
    No-one wants to touch the monkey :(( . But this situation is more of a reflection on society and who I am. Besides, why are we relying on drugs to cover our shortfall in thinking???

What if our monkey is in a car wreck and you get ptsd shouldn't we give you drugs so you don't kill yourself or others?
    See first point. What happens, happens. If I survive the car wreck, then chances are the monkey gods are smiling on me...

What about the guys who inherited heart disease and needs pills to make Mr. Peepee work?
    Why do you want to spread the genes that cause heart problems? Me thinks this is nature's way of cleaning up the gene pool.

Yes I may be a heartless and hairless monkey. but society in general has lost the value and preciousness of life. You only get one chance at life. Some get long healthy lives, others do not. Either way, it's up to YOU to make the most of what you are given. And it's YOUR fault if you don't make the most of your life. As the old saying goes, if you are given lemons, make lemonade, don't sit there and cry like a little girl cause you wanted limes and not lemons.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Head_Monkey For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Head_Monkey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by irj2 View Post
    A fourth perhaps?
    That kinda covers all 3 of my points. Most people use recreational drugs to escape a life they are too lazy to change/don't want to accept. Who really uses recreational drugs (including alcohol) because they love their life? Life (apparently) is it's own drug, and does not need to be supplemented with anything.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Head_Monkey For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

irj2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Head_Monkey View Post
    Natural selection (evolution)
    Ok, I know you to be a bright and intelligent fellow (from your other posts here on the forum) and therefore presume that your posts above are more about being provocative (to encourage heartfelt/heated debate) as opposed to being a true representation of your own life values.

Drugs
    Without drugs, millions of people would have died. Consider the major world epidemics and pandemics where drugs have saved many and thus their subsequent offspring, and theirs, etc.

I still maintain that there is a fourth drug category to your list. Consider the American Indian, the Asian Holy men; that used drugs, as a way of life, not for escapism but to ‘see’. Visions of the future were the very essence of their lives.

Natural Selection
    In the animal world, then yes, this works and is nature’s way of maintaining the purity of species and the subspecies gene pools.

This did once apply to Humans. The ‘caveman’ was a hunter-gatherer; their days were about hunting, eating and sleeping. They would fight when threatened to safeguard their ‘kills’ and territory. Subsequently, they would fight together against other tribes. Simplistically, their life was archetypical ‘kill or be killed’, ‘live for today’, ‘survival of the fittest’, a.k.a. Natural Selection.

Would Natural Selection work today? No! Of course it wouldn’t. You suggest that we should focus on today and not tomorrow as tomorrow may never come. This is something of a na´ve and short-term viewpoint, and contrary to the evolution of mankind. Mankind’s evolution includes placing great importance on tomorrow, if it did not then we would revert back to the caveman lifestyle and soon become extinct ourselves, through lack of food, suitable living space and clean drinking water.

‘Living for today’ whilst a very attractive concept, is pure short-termism. Would we all want to give up our mortgages, making a home for our families, preparing for our retirements? Nah, I think not. ‘Living for today’ takes away the personal need to work or abide by the laws of the land and logically results in chaos.

So, most of us go to work to earn money and to prepare for our futures. Initially, when young, it may well be ‘pissed up against the wall’, but once over that, we start to save, buy and make homes and prepare a secure environment for our children. I’m sure many parents would willingly give their lives for that of their children, but why would any of them give their lives unnecessarily? If use of a drug enables a parent to live and thus continue to care and prepare for their children, then that has to be a good thing. Not using that drug would see said children become homeless and uncared for. Natural Selection dictates that they have to fend for themselves; that might work for a while but is not sustainable as the cities would then become littered with the dead bodies of the children and the many others that also could not care for themselves. Dead bodies = disease = death of cities = eventual death of the human race.

In Summary
    Continued evolution of mankind relies on a ‘long-term’ caring society. Drugs are part of that evolutionary path. Agreed that there is a modern tendency to reach for non-vital drugs a little too quickly and that they may be a little too easy to acquire but rather that, than no drugs.

‘Survival of the fittest’ does not work for humankind as an intelligent adversary can overcome many less intelligent but otherwise fit, healthy and typically ‘Alpha’ types!

Sorry the above is a bit long, but it is only a small part of what I thought in response to the above.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to irj2 For This Useful Post:

Chief (30th December 2010), ken (30th December 2010), petruccio (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (30th December 2010)

Thanks

Monkey I know you too well to believe for one second that you wouldn't give someone drugs to keep them alive or to keep them from suffering. You are a big softie with a huge monkey heart.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken For This Useful Post:

petruccio (1st January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 11,912 Posts

have you tried antibiotics?
    :heehee:....:nonono: :P

I just post what looks interesting as I'm wandering around the 'net. Credit always to the original scanner(s), capper(s), and or poster(s) of the content that I might put up here

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petruccio For This Useful Post:

ken (2nd January 2011), tjw61 (2nd January 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast