Live text and stats

Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Champions League

Uefa Champions League last 16 first leg
Venue: Stade Velodrome Date: Wednesday, 23 February Kick-off: 1945 GMT Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio 5 live and online; live text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobile phones; also live on ITV1

Manchester United are without defender Rio Ferdinand and stalwart Ryan Giggs for the first leg of their round of 16 Champions League tie in Marseille.

Chris Smalling is set to partner Nemanja Vidic at the heart of defence.

Jonny Evans, Anderson and Michael Owen are also out so youngsters Joshua King and Ryan Tunnicliffe are in the squad.

Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac is out for two weeks with groin trouble while fellow forwards Loic Remy (heel) and Brandao (ankle) face late tests.

United will be up against their former full-back Gabriel Heinze, who joined the French champions in 2009 after spending two years with Real Madrid.

Patrice Evra, who replaced Heinze as the first-choice left-back at Old Trafford, said he was pleased to see the 32-year-old Argentine performing well and said: "It wasn't easy at first with him being a former Paris Saint-Germain player. There is a big rivalry with Marseille.

"I am happy to see him doing well and he will get a big ovation when he comes back to Old Trafford because he played so well for United."

Marseille are managed by former French international Didier Deschamps, who had a season with Chelsea towards the end of his playing career before coaching Monaco for fours years and then Juventus.

"I've watched some of their games this season and you can see they are a good team and they have a great manager in Didier Deschamps, who was my coach at Monaco," said Evra, who recently signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract.

"He is not afraid of any team and I know he will get his players motivated before the game so they play with no fear. It's a dangerous game for us because we are favourites so in a way Marseille have nothing to lose."

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Lindegaard;, Vidic, O'Shea, Brown, Rafael, Fabio, Evra, Smalling, Scholes, Gibson, Nani, Carrick, Fletcher, Bebe, Obertan, Tunnicliffe, Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez, King.

Article Source :
BBC News

Similar Newsgab Articles: