Enzo Maccarinelli was the WBO cruiserweight champion until 2008 Former world champion Enzo Maccarinelli will make his light-heavyweight debut in London on Saturday, 18 November.

The Welsh boxer has dropped down from cruiserweight to rebuild his career after deciding against retirement following four defeats in eight fights.

The 31-year-old faces Hungarian Gyorgy Marosi at York Hall in Bethnal Green.

Maccarinelli will headline the bill after Lee Selby's first defence of his British and Commonwealth featherweight against John Simpson was called off.

Simpson was forced to withdraw after contracting a virus, so Maccarinelli's Welsh compatriot Selby will now fight at a later date.

Marosi, 34, has won all of his 12 pro fights, with eight coming by knockout, but has only fought outside his native Hungary twice - each time in neighbouring Slovakia.

"I'm feeling great at light-heavyweight, very fast and agile," Maccarinelli said.

"I'll be looking to put in a solid performance at York Hall so I can start challenging for domestic and then eventually world titles at light-heavyweight."

Victory for Maccarinelli (32-5-0) could pave the way to face the winner of Ovil McKensie and Jeff Evans for the vacant Commonwealth light-heavyweight title in Halifax.

That in turn could be another stepping stone towards an all-Welsh clash with unbeaten WBO champion Nathan Cleverly.

Swansea's Maccarinelli has promised to become the first Welshman to regain a world title.

Source: BBC News

Similar Newsgab Articles: