By Marc Higginson
BBC Sport Quigg started out as a professional in 2007 and has won all 23 of his fights British super-bantamweight champion Scott Quigg has told BBC Sport he has Northern Ireland's Commonwealth title holder Carl Frampton in his sights.

Quigg defends his current title on 4 February against Jamie Arthur, while Frampton will put his belt on the line against Kris Hughes on 28 January.

However, Quigg believes a fight with Frampton is inevitable.

"We want to capture the public's imagination like the George Groves and David DeGale fight did," he said.

Scott Quigg

• Born: Bury
  • Fights: 23
  • Wins: 23
  • Knockouts: 16
  • Lost: 0
  • Drawn: 0

There will be plenty of interest should the undefeated duo meet, with Quigg boasting an undefeated record of 23 fights and 16 knockouts, while Frampton has stopped seven of his opponents in his 11 victories.

Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton is Quigg's promoter, while ex-world champion Barry McGuigan manages Frampton.

And Bury-born Quigg believes it is important for the sport that the two young prospects tackle each other head on.

"There is no doubt that me and Carl are going to fight sooner or later," he said. "I am not scared of him and I am 100% confident I will beat him, but he will say exactly the same.

"We could go on our own paths, but it is important to face each other because we both want to prove we are the best.

"We could fight now, but there is nothing on the line. In eight months' time, we can both pick up another title each and it builds into a mega fight.

"It makes sense for the fight to be built up.

"Whoever wins will then go on to fight at world level - I want to be a world champion one day."

Carl Frampton

• Born: Belfast
  • Fights: 11
  • Wins: 11
  • Knockouts: 7
  • Lost: 0
  • Drawn: 0

Quigg, however, is mindful of the threat posed by former Commonwealth champion Arthur in Bolton early next year.

He knows he will have to call on all of the experience that helped him win the British title from Jason Booth in October.

"Jamie Arthur is durable - he has never been stopped," said Quigg. "He has got the experience of taking on some top fighters in his career.

"I have to do what I did against Jason Booth and not allow him to get into his rhythm. I need to outsmart him with the same sort of controlled pressure I used against Booth.

"Obviously if either me or Carl slip up, there will be no big fight, so we both have to concentrate on what we are doing."

Source: BBC News

Similar Newsgab Articles: