Thread: A taste of waste

Thanks
    Thanked 16,227 Times in 7,481 Posts

Default A taste of waste

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) today released a new oversight report, “Wastebook 2011” that highlights over $6.5 billion in examples of some of the most egregious ways your taxpayer dollars were wasted. This report details 100 of the countless unnecessary, duplicative and low-priority projects spread throughout the federal government.

“Video games, robot dragons, Christmas trees, and magic museums. This is not a Christmas wish list, these are just some of the ways the federal government spent your tax dollars. Over the past 12 months, politicians argued, debated and lamented about how to reign in the federal government’s out of control spending. All the while, Washington was on a shopping binge, spending money we do not have on things we do not absolutely need. Instead of cutting wasteful spending, nearly $2.5 billion was added each day in 2011 to our national debt, which now exceeds $15 trillion,” Dr. Coburn said.

“Congress cannot even agree on a plan to pay for the costs of extending jobless benefits to the millions of Americans who are still out of work. Yet, thousands of millionaires are receiving unemployment benefits and billions of dollars of improper payments of unemployment insurance are being made to individuals with jobs and others who do not qualify. And remember those infamous bridges to nowhere in Alaska that became symbols of government waste years ago? The bridges were never built, yet the federal government still spent more than a million dollars just this year to pay for staff to promote one of the bridges.”

Examples of wasteful spending highlighted in “Wastebook 2011” include:

• $75,000 to promote awareness about the role Michigan plays in producing Christmas trees & poinsettias.

• $15.3 million for one of the infamous Bridges to Nowhere in Alaska.

• $113,227 for video game preservation center in New York.

• $550,000 for a documentary about how rock music contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

• $48,700 for 2nd annual Hawaii Chocolate Festival, to promote Hawaii’s chocolate industry.

• $350,000 to support an International Art Exhibition in Venice, Italy.

• $10 million for a remake of “Sesame Street” for Pakistan.

• $35 million allocated for political party conventions in 2012.

• $765,828 to subsidize “pancakes for yuppies” in the nation’s capital.

• $764,825 to study how college students use mobile devices for social networking.

Read the full report: Dr. Coburn Releases New Report on Wasteful Government Spending in 2011: "Wastebook 2011" - Press Releases - Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma
    I hate it so much when one side says, "oh but the amount is so small", that's code for lets do nothing.

Similar Newsgab Articles:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rebelyell For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (21st December 2011), petruccio (20th December 2011), tjw61 (21st December 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 983 Posts

Default Re: A taste of waste

The bridge to no where still isn't done? How long have they been building it?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to computer2slow For This Useful Post:

petruccio (21st December 2011), rebelyell (22nd December 2011), tjw61 (21st December 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,247 Times in 11,900 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by computer2slow View Post
    The bridge to no where still isn't done? How long have they been building it?
    Long enough! ~X(

I just post what looks interesting as I'm wandering around the 'net. Credit always to the original scanner(s), capper(s), and or poster(s) of the content that I might put up here

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petruccio For This Useful Post:

rebelyell (22nd December 2011), tjw61 (21st December 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 828 Posts

Just shy of 63 million - I could think of a lot of usefull places to put that sort of money.
    $35 million allocated for political party conventions in 2011 - why don't the parties pay for thier own?? Why do our tax dollars go to support thier agendas??

I think you have confused a safe drinking limit with what I like to call 'lunch'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chefjames For This Useful Post:

rebelyell (24th December 2011)