By Richard Conway
BBC Sport Khan had Peterson (right) on the floor twice during their 10 December bout The "mystery man" at the centre of the Amir Khan row has told BBC Sport he was correcting clear errors made by the fight's scoring supervisor.

Mustafa Ameen was accused by Khan of interfering with judges' scorecards in his defeat against Lamont Peterson.

But Ameen claims he only pointed out mistakes made by Michael Welsh, who had said he was unwell.

"I noticed one error and a subsequent error. I assisted him in correcting it without touching anything," he said.

• 10 December 2011: Amir Khan loses his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles in points defeat by Lamont Peterson in Washington
  • 18 December 2011: Khan formally appeals to have the decision overturned
  • 6 January 2012: Khan accuses unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards
  • 13 January 2012: The WBA order a rematch of the controversial world title fight.
  • 17 January 2012: Hearing into fight cancelled after Khan's promoters, Golden Boy Promotions, withdraw their appeal

Ameen thoroughly refutes any allegations of wrongdoing and wants an apology from Khan and his camp.

"I happened to look down, I believe at the end of the third round, I looked down and I saw Mr Welsh's score," said Ameen.

"I saw, I believe, it could have been nine, nine and nine - which is 27 all day long.

"There was an error. It might have been 26 or 28 but he was off by a point or two.

"I happened to look down and I said 'Michael, nine times three is 27'. He said 'oh my God' and corrected himself.

"And he said 'I'm not feeling well this evening, thank you very much'."

Khan's camp also questioned why Ameen was pictured with Peterson in the ring after the fight.

But Ameen said he was assisting 85-year-old IBF official Paul Artiist with the championship belt and insisted he would have done the same had Khan won.

More of the exclusive interview to follow.

Source: BBC News

Similar Newsgab Articles: