<div class="ad_wrapper">
21 February 2012 Last updated at 18:32 GMT

Share this page

<div class="article" role="main">
Promoter Tommy Gilmour has voiced fears that Lee McAllister's fight against Denis Shafikov could be marred by low punches from the Russian.

The European light-welterweight title bout takes place in McAllister's home town of Aberdeen on Saturday.

And Gilmour says that McAllister has been forced to adapt his training by bringing in special sparring partners.

"He comes in very low, throwing dangerously low punches, so we've had to bring in rough boys," he said.

"I think that we'll need to be very, very careful that his punches are kept within legality.

"But Lee's got one or two things that he's been working on and he'll be prepared for that.

"I think on a level playing field - much as it's a very, very difficult fight, there is no doubt about that - I think we're in with a wee chance that we could win it and change the whole thing in Aberdeen."

Gilmour also said that McAllister - known for his light-hearted approach - has been much more serious in his preparations for the EBU fight with Shafikov.

"He always takes fights seriously, but this time he's been quieter, more subdued.

Continue reading the main story
“Lee's won about nine championships - but nothing measures up to the challenge he faces on Saturday night.”
Boxing promoter Tommy Gilmour

"I think he realises this is a huge stepping stone.

"Lee's won about nine championships - but nothing measures up to the challenge he faces on Saturday night.

"If he can win the European - he's already Commonwealth champion - that makes him champion of two-thirds of the world.

"Then there might be a mega-fight."

Amir Khan and Erik Morales have been touted as potential opponents should McAllister win, but Gilmour insisted no plans have been made ahead of the bout.

He added: "If you're fortunate enough and you win, then the opportunities will present themselves within a couple of weeks, but we can't really look further than this - we're fighting a guy that's undefeated. This is not an easy fight.

"A lot would depend on how we won the fight, the performance and the saleability of the fight."

Gilmour also told of his delight that the fight, the highest-profile in Aberdeen for many years, is now a sell-out.

"It's way beyond my wildest dreams. It was a big commitment that we made, that we'd try and get the champion to come from Russia and fight in Aberdeen," said the veteran promoter.

"We've managed it, and we've been rewarded with a sell-out.

"This is only the third time in almost 40 years of promoting that I've sold every single ticket, so we know we've got the backing of the Aberdeen public."

However, fellow promoter Frank Maloney said his only concern about the fight being held in Aberdeen was down to his own worries about the weather.

"I've heard it's cold: in fact, my wife has bought me a new coat with a furry collar," he quipped.

<div class="share-tools-footer blq-clearfix">Share this story