After two years interrupted by illness, a healthy Glenn O'Shea has all but cemented his place at the London Olympics by winning gold in the omnium at the track cycling world championships.
O'Shea came into the Melbourne world titles fighting for a spot as one of Australia's five endurance riders to go to London and he's made it very difficult for selectors to leave him out.
"It is a tight selection. But I guess it's hard not to take the world champion in the omnium, isn't it?" he said.
"That's really sealed my selection, now I've got a few hard months ahead training for the Games."
After chicken pox forced him out of the 2009 world championships and glandular fever took him out of action for a year, O'Shea forced his way back into the Australian team 12 months ago.
With a full year of uninterrupted cycling behind him, the Victorian is reaping the benefits.
With team pursuiters Jack Bobridge, Michael Hepburn and Rohan Dennis certain to go to London, O'Shea was battling with Alex Edmondson, Cameron Meyer and possibly Mitchell Mulhern for the two remaining spots.
He had already beaten omnium defending champion Michael Freiberg into Australia's team for the world titles and edged out Edmondson to join Bobridge, Hepburn and Dennis in the silver medal winning team pursuit on Wednesday.
The 22-year-old's gold in the six-discipline omnium, a new Olympic event for London, reinforces his versatility and he said he "absolutely" wants to ride both events in London.
"I had been told by coaches and selectors what they wanted from me, I won't go into that," he said.
"But the whole year, they gave me targets ... hopefully I've met them. Being world champion in the omnium, I think I deserve a spot at the Games.
"But I'll leave that up to the coaches and selectors to decide."
Australia's head endurance coach Ian McKenzie said O'Shea has made that decision easy.
"I can't give any guarantees, but winning a world championship is probably the next best thing to selection," McKenzie said.
"And he was very good in the team pursuit, too."
O'Shea won the omnium on Friday night with a thrilling head-to-head ride for gold with Canadian Zach Bell in the final race of the contest, the kilo time trial.

Source: Click Here

Similar Newsgab Articles: