Melissa Breen fell just shy of a guaranteed berth in the 100m at the London Olympics. Picture: Stuart Milligan Source: Herald Sun

AUSTRALIAN sprinter Melissa Breen is long overdue a change of luck after yet again getting within a whisker of a guaranteed berth in the 100m at the London Olympics.

Breen clocked 11.30 seconds in the heats at the Oda Memorial meet in Hiroshima on the weekend, shaving another hundredth of a second off her fastest-ever time.
But it was still just outside the Olympic A standard of 11.29.
What made it even harder to swallow for the 21-year-old from Canberra was that the trackside clock initially showed she had run* 11.27, before being rounded up to 11.30.
The official time was actually 11.292, meaning she was only a heartbreaking two thousandths of a second shy of the automatic qualifying mark.
Breen will now continue her Japanese campaign with a 200m in Shizuoka on Thursday before having one final tilt in her favoured 100m in the IAAF World Challenge meet in Kawasaki on Sunday against a crack field - including American superstar Allyson Felix.

"With Allyson there, it's going to be a fast race and that's what I need," Breen said from Japan."It's another opportunity on Sunday. I've written down all my times this season and when you do that you can keep perspective.
"But yesterday there was no perspective. It was very much raw and it was very hard to come back for the final even though I ran quite well then too (clocking 11.36).
"At least I know that the next time I run a PB it will be the time I need and that makes me laugh because I couldn't try any harder."
Breen had originally planned to also compete in the United States in the next few weeks.
But she has now decided that would be counter-productive, having been on the go non-stop since the start of the Australian season.
Even if she doesn't better the automatic mark of 11.29 in Kawasaki on Sunday, Breen has put together a compelling case for earning discretionary selection for London from the Athletics Australia selectors when they name their final squad in early June.
Breen will also anchor the Australian 4x100m relay team in Shizuoka and Kawasaki as they attempt to claim an Olympic berth without 100m hurdles gold medal favourite Sally Pearson.
Eloise Wellings will be picked to run the 10,000m in London after proving her fitness to selectors with two impressive outings over 5000m in the US in the last eight days.
Wellings clocked 15 minutes 20.28 seconds at the Payton Jordan meet on Sunday, marginally quicker than she ran at last week's Mt Sac Relays.
The 29-year-old was forced to withdraw from the Australian team for last year's world championships with a stress fracture.

Source: Click Here

Similar Newsgab Articles: