Thread: Towson University Student Proposes To Start A White Student Union On Campus

Thanks
    Thanked 16,255 Times in 7,484 Posts

Default Towson University Student Proposes To Start A White Student Union On Campus

OWSON, Md. (WJZ)– A controversial proposal from a Towson University student is opening up old wounds. A student organization is planning to start a “White Student Union.”

Rochelle Ritchie has reaction from the university and students.

Matthew Heimbach’s reasoning can be found in the college newspaper where he says white students deserve an exclusive club only for them.

Inside this week’s Towson University newspaper, Heimbach is seen holding a Confederate flag in front of Martin Luther King Jr.’s church in Montgomery, Ala. He says: “We want to replicate what every student union does on campus.”

His solution: Start a White Student Union.

“I don’t know why anyone would want to start that. It doesn’t really make sense,” Kelsey Ports, a junior at Towson University, said.

In the article, Heimbach says there is a Black Student Union that promotes their heroes, and he wants to do the same.

“We had to congregate together because we weren’t allowed to congregate with whites,” Julian Carroll, a junior at the university, said. “There is a difference between a White Student Union and a Black Student Union based on the history of America.”

This isn’t Heimbach’s first attempt to start a controversial group. He succeeded before with Youth for Western Civilization. The group gained negative attention after messages of white pride were written in chalk across campus.

“We want to be able to promote on campus for students who want to be proud of their heritage and the foundations of this country and stand up for themselves,” Heimbach said of the Youth for Western Civilization.

Richard Vatz resigned as adviser for that group. He says that just because the name changes, the principles don’t.

“When you have a group that calls themselves the White Student Union, their only purpose is generally hostility towards those who are non-white,” Vatz, a communications professor at Towson University, said.

Right now, no application is on file with the university to start the White Student Union. If it is discriminatory, it will not be approved.

“If inclusiveness is not the plan, then it will not be recognized by the Student Government Association,” Dr. Teri Hall, vice president of Student Affairs at Towson University, said.

In the college newspaper, Heimbach says 17 students have an interest in joining the White Student Union. He tells WJZ that although he could not be reached before this story was written, he would like to talk about the union and their plans at Towson University.
    Towson University Student Proposes To Start A White Student Union On Campus « CBS Baltimore

Similar Newsgab Articles:

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebelyell For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (17th September 2012), petruccio (17th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 814 Posts

Default Re: Towson University Student Proposes To Start A White Student Union On Campus

uh yea thats a smart idea...NOT. can't we just all get along...and not worry about skin tone. always some jerk wanting to start stuff up. ~X(

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelal For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (17th September 2012), petruccio (17th September 2012), rebelyell (15th September 2012)

Thanks

Default Re: Towson University Student Proposes To Start A White Student Union On Campus

It could be that he is just trying to highlight something that he believes is wrong, i.e there is a sanctioned Black Student Union already at the university, but i think that he could/should have found a better way to do this.

For the record i also disagree with Julian Carroll's statement, there is no difference between a white only or black only union, it is still excluding people based on the colour of their skin.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to david963 For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (17th September 2012), petruccio (17th September 2012), rebelyell (16th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,008 Times in 6,885 Posts

I think he went about it the wrong way. I also think that if you are going to have a black student union, a Korean student union or any other that you can't exclude one from having a union due to "history". What that says is that white students don't have the right to have their own union. Which is discrimination.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bfirecap02 For This Useful Post:

david963 (17th September 2012), petruccio (17th September 2012), rebelyell (18th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,297 Times in 11,912 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david963 View Post
    For the record i also disagree with Julian Carroll's statement, there is no difference between a white only or black only union, it is still excluding people based on the colour of their skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by bfirecap02 View Post
    I think he went about it the wrong way. I also think that if you are going to have a black student union, a Korean student union or any other that you can't exclude one from having a union due to "history". What that says is that white students don't have the right to have their own union. Which is discrimination.

While I definitely think this particular guy is prolly doing it for the wrong reasons, the salient point here is the one David369 and bfirecap02 have made :what:

Take a look here: black student union - Google Search

Most major liberal university campuses have some version of a 'Black Student Union', typically called exactly that! And they freely and routinely 'exclude' white students :what:

If it's wrong for one color, then it's wrong for all :nonono:...and shame on Towson University and all the others for maintaining and even actively promulgating a double-standard on racism!!!

I just post what looks interesting as I'm wandering around the 'net. Credit always to the original scanner(s), capper(s), and or poster(s) of the content that I might put up here

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petruccio For This Useful Post:

angelal (17th September 2012), bfirecap02 (18th September 2012), big91963 (5th October 2012), david963 (17th September 2012), rebelyell (18th September 2012)

Thanks

Wouldn't that just be called the student union?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluedevils58 For This Useful Post:

bfirecap02 (6th October 2012), david963 (5th October 2012), rebelyell (5th October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,255 Times in 7,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevils58 View Post
    =)) =)) =))

Thanks
    Thanked 16,008 Times in 6,885 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevils58 View Post
    Really?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bfirecap02 For This Useful Post:

rebelyell (6th October 2012)